Part 4

"What took you so long Khushi?" Payal barged in.

Khushi stood by the door, facing outwards, eyes closed, afraid to open them. How was she going to explain to her sister about Arnav being in her room, especially when she was saying she was changing? She stood there. Silently waiting. Patiently waiting for her sister to let out a shock 'Khushi?!'.

"Khushi are you just going to stand there? Were you planning on becoming a door? First you struggle to open it and now you seem stuck to the door. And why are you still in your sari? All this time and yet you haven't changed? What were you doing Khushi?" Payal continued.

Khushi now was confused, and also partly impressed. She had expected Payal to shriek as she saw Arnav. Afterall, that was just what she was like. Shy and timid. Khushi wondered that if it had not been for Arnav and her, how long would it have taken both Payal and Akash to confess their love? Each one just as shy and just as inexperience, probably.

What? Inexperienced?! Hello Khushi? Since when you were so experienced in the first place?!

Again flashes of what Arnav was doing to her just moments ago flooded her and she felt the heat increased.

"Khushi? Close the door and change already. Guests are waiting downstairs and I'm sure they would want to go home by this evening."

"First tell your jetji to leave and then I can change."

"Jetji?! ... Where?! ... Are you ok Khushi?"

Khushi immediately turned to face the room, her eyes studying the room. There in the middle, stood her lovely petite sister and there by the wall, stood ' the wall! What?! Where did he go?! She blinked several times.

Khushi immediately shut the door and locked it.

"Khushi?"

She scrambled across the room, opening and shutting the cupboards. Nothing. Underneath the bed - nothing.

"Khushi what is wrong?"

Khushi ignored her sister and glanced randomly across the room. Where else could he hide? She searched behind the sofa - she doubt he would fit but still she checked. Then immediately she rushed to the bathroom and switched the lights on. She scanned the shower - nothing. Had she imagined him? Was the whole thing just her imagination? Impossible. It seemed so real. He seemed real. She could still smell his cologne mixed with his sensous body ordor. Even as she thought it, she smelt it. But he was not in the shower.

Please Devi Mayaa. Did I just imagine it: imagine him caressing me, and kissing my shoulders.

She ran to the vanity mirror and scanned her neck and back. He was kissing her there right? She hoped to see some form of mark - something to tell her that he was with her. But she found nothing. Could it be?! She stepped back and searched the bathroom again. He had to be here. He just had to!!! But she couldn't find him. Where else could he be?!

Khushi stepped back into the room, almost barging straight into Payal.

She felt two hands softly grab her arms steadying her. "Khushi, are you ok. Please Khushi tell me what is wrong? You are scaring me Khushi. Have you lost something? Tell me Khushi and I will help you find it please Khushi. Please say something." Payal spoke, holding back the tears.

Khushi sensed her sister's voice breaking and that was enough of a jolt to get her attention back into the room.

"Lost something jiji."

"Good. That's a start. What did you lose?"

"Him. Me." She shook her head. "I'm losing it jiji. I'm losing my mind. Not that it would matter to him. He said I didn't have brains anyway." Khushi mumbled.

"Sorry. Khushi. I didn't get that. What did you lose? Come on, sit down and we will run through the events of the evening and maybe you might remember where you misplaced it." Payal guided her lovingly to the bed.

The bed. That was it. They were sitting together on the bed. Or rather, he was sitting and she sat on top of him. So there should be a bed crease. She scanned the bed. Nothing. Did she imagine sitting on him as well?!

Oh Devi Mayaa, please help me. Have I completely lost it Devi Mayaa. Please. Please.

"Sit Khushi."

"Uh?"

"Bed. Sit." Payal pointed and gently pushed her shoulders down, guiding her to sit. "So tell me what did you lose?"

Khushi contemplated what to say. Could she clearly say 'Jiji, I lost your jetji. You know he is 5'11. Toned. Immaculately dressed. With the most gorgeous brown eyes and lovable kissable lips. And the stubble.'  No matter how she said it. It would not go down well. Khushi had definitely lost it. Wasn't it her who said that farak nai padta. So aab kya hua?!

"Nothing jiji. I didn't lose anything."

"Then why were you behaving strangely?"

"I'm just tired, jiji. Its been a long day. And you know I have been practicing all night as well to ensure we win. I guess after the last dance, I just feel all drained, jiji. That's it."

"And why did you take long to open the door?" Payal's eyes continue to study her.

"I was lying down and just dozed off. You know what I'm like jiji, especially when I am tired. I struggle to get up."

"Sure?"

"Hmm." Khushi nodded, hoping that whatever she had just said would calm her sister down. "Jiji, what are you doing here anyway? Its your sangeet night and you should be downstairs celebrating. Afterall we won." Khushi stood up, snapping herself back to her cheerful self. She was not going to make a scene tonight. "Come on jiji. Go downstairs and I will join you."

"I'll sit here and watch you change."

"I'm not a child jiji. Please, I can change myself. Go, please."

"Khushi, if you were sleeping then why does the bed still look made?"

"Jiji, are you seriously doubting me?! I tidied up as soon as I got up and went to open the door. Please jiji, there is nothing wrong."

"I don't believe it Khushi. You can put this happy face to everyone out there. I admit sometimes I believe it or I want to believe it but not tonight. Do you not love me enough to confide in me?" Payal spoke softly.

"It's not that jiji." Khushi did not know how to tell her sister. What would she say? Where would she start? That she was imagining Arnavji when he wasn't even here. She was falling again for him when actually he did not even care for her. She was worried that he would break her heart when in fact it was herself. She and her foolish heart would be the cause of her own self destruction. Where would she start? Khushi closed her eyes and bit her lip.

"Was it the dance with Arnavji?"

Khushi shook her head initially and then eventually nodded.

"I know it is not easy for you Khushi especially when you don't like him. But I don't think he is such a rakhsas that you make him out to be. He helped you Khushi when no one else did. He danced Khushi. According to naniji and Anjaliji, he hasn't danced in the last 15 years and tonight he danced to save you. To make us win."

"I know jiji. Woh itne bure bhi nahi hai."

"Then what is it Khushi?"

"I don't know jiji. Did he seem angry downstairs?" Khushi had to know whether for definite she imagined the whole thing.

"He didn't seem angry. He was smiling and talking to the guests."

"You saw him? Downstairs? Before coming up?"

Payal nodded. "Yes, I saw him downstairs talking to the guest before I walked up. Khushi, what is this all about?"

"Sure?"

"Yes. I did see him."

"When?"

"Before now."

Khushi sat there taking it all in. She was confused. She imagined the whole thing. Part of her was relieved. Though a big part of her was  disappointed. But she could cope with disappointment. Heartbreak maybe not so sure.

Khushi stood up. "Nothing. I need to get dressed jiji. I was just tired. That's it. I'm fine now." Not really. I'm completely mad. 18 years old and now imagining things!!! She had previously thought that when she was in love, she would see him in every person that she met. But tonight, she felt she had definitely taken it a step further. Trust Khushi Kumari Gupta to go the further unconventional and childish step - she was now actually hallucinating and seeing him with her! Maybe even Devi Mayaa couldn't help her now.

"What is this Khushi?!" She heard Payal shriek.

Yes!!!! Khushi thought. He was here and Payal had seen him. She was not losing her mind afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment