Part 13

Khushi leaned her body back to the headboard and closed her eyes. She tried to push the sounds of the adverts on the TV out of her mind as she pondered the question asked.

'Did you spend time at the Mansion after the show?'

She knew the answer to that question but what she feared were the barrage of questions after. She could just anticipate the next questions ' what were you doing there so late? Where you with Chotey? Why were you in a dishevelled state? Why were you distressed?

She wondered: should she tell the truth? Could she tell the truth?!

And now her dilemma would begin. She felt the tension in her shoulders and wished she could have a dip in a nice warm bath, like the bath in Arnav's room. But instead, all she felt was the constant tightening in her shoulders and neck, as though there was an invisible noose of lies tightening gradually around her neck.

How much more lies Khushi?!

She truly didn't know. In the past, she often made up stories to humour people or to entertain them. But those were white lies and they hurt no one. Now she was in a different league. Her lies had consequences. Like lying about her pregnancy. She and Arnavji would have to come up with more lies just to cover the first lie. But she was prepared.

She actually had no choice. She knew Arnavji could not tell the truth about Shyam and he had tried to tell the truth about their 'so called' relationship. Sadly, her family and his, rather belief that she was pregnant instead. So the pretence of pregnancy would have to continue until Arnavji and her resolved what to do next.

She already knew that the expose programme had information on Uncle and Auntieji of the Nainital dabba. They would definitely confirmed that both Arnav and her were married and had spent the night in the honeymoon room. That was a fact. She was the one that actually started it all off. She recalled briefly that she was so worried that Arnav would leave without having anything to eat and she was worried about his health, that to stop him, she played the hysterical wife. He was finally placated to stay but of course, knowing Arnavji, he would have the last word. And he did by telling everyone that it was their suhaag raat and then carried her off to the room. That is what everyone saw. But when they were in the room, nothing happened but no one else knew that except Arnav and her.
And what would happen if she said the truth that nothing happened in the honeymoon suite. Would anyone believe her?! She doubted it. All the evidence pointed to them having some form of relationship. It wasn't Mr Shilla Shetty's fault or anyone else's, the evidence spoke that way. She would easily admit that if she were the audience, she would jump to similar conclusions. But Khushi thought, even if most of the Raizada clan in the room, by some miracle, believed her; she and Arnav would need to convince them of their so-called sexual relationship and how she fell pregnant. And that would involve more lies.

"Khushi betiya. Are you ok?" Naniji asked.

"Yes, Naniji." Khushi replied. "Just morning sickness." She lied. "Just give me a few minutes. The nausea usually subsides quickly."  She needed a few more seconds to think of how she would handle the next 20 minutes.

Khushi felt Naniji's resting softly on hers. "Look, Khushi. I'm not asking questions to pry. I know it must be hard, seeing all this on the TV. It's hard for us too. I'm still in shock especially when we normally place utmost importance to our privacy. But, someone, somehow, has leaked information on you two. I've watched the show and I know there is more."

"More?" Arnav asked, his face losing colour.

"Much more." Naniji pressed the pause button. "Yes, Chotey, there is more. So I'm asking both of you for the truth. You both are married and the pictures prove it. And that is something, as a family, we will have to come to terms with. Not because I'm angry with the marriage. Far from it. I don't think you could ever find a better girl, Chotey. Likewise Khushi, the pictures show how happy and overjoyed you are with him. And I know my Chotey, once he commits, he always does so with his heart. So you two are lucky and blessed to have each other."

"But that still does not mean I'm not disappointed with the way the marriage took place. But if that is what you thought was the best way, bearing in mind, Khushi's pregnancy, then maybe it was. I've got to learn to accept it.

Naniji placed her hand on Khushi's. "I know I come from a different generation where sex before marriage hardly took place or if it did, it was hush-hush. But this generation is different. I mean at least you got married. That is much better than live in." Naniji continued, her voice crisp. "And even then Chotey, I was angry with you about the live in concept but your mamiji, anjali and I supported you completely."

Khushi watched as Naniji turned to look at Arnav  "True, Chotey?"

He nodded.

"So all I want is the truth. I'm not judging. Please Khushi." Naniji squeezed Khushi's hand slowly.
Khushi wondered. Could she offer to tell more unnecessary lies, especially when naniji asked so lovingly? No, she thought. She would only tell what was essential. The dabba evidence would serve Arnav and her well. The evidence spoke itself and all she had to do, was just nod in agreement with it. And the rest would be left to everyone's imagination.

But what about the events before? Did she lie about their relationship or did she tell the truth somehow. The truth would paint Arnav in a bad light. In contrast, a lie, would be worse. Payal knew how she felt about Arnav at the start. She could not stand him! Actually she hated him. Akash and Anjali also knew that Arnavji and her hated each other. So, lying was not an option.

She took a deep breath. She laughed internally at the absurdity of her and Arnav's position. The evidence showed that their affair began that fateful night at the Mahal, yet it didn't. Yet, the truth about Shyam was that he had stayed in her buaji's house as a paying guest, lied about his marital status and got engaged to her, and yet, in this case, there was no evidence! There were no photos, no videos of close encounters. Nothing! It happened in close doors and only her family were witness. And there too laid another problem. 

Even if Arnav did ask and believed buaji, Payal and ammaji, their view of the events would not be substantial to convince the rest of the Raizada family. Worse, it would paint them in a bad light. If they knew of the creep's intentions, then why did they not say anything then, especially when Payal was marrying Akash? No, they kept quiet and therefore, could easily be blamed for being manipulative and wanting to trap Akash or Arnav.

So here was the dilemma ' there was no evidence for the truth about Shyam, especially with her engagement with him. But all the evidence did point to her and Arnav's affair. Khushi again wondered if this was a trick by Shyam? And if it was, was he expecting them to lie so that he could expose them further. No. she could not let that happen.

Her mind was made up. She turned to her right, watching as her husband continued to pace ' up and down, right to left. And repeating the cycle again. Gosh, she was feeling nauseas just looking at him. But she could equally understand his nervousness.

"Arnavji, can you stop pacing. I'm already struggling with morning sickness and you moving up and down is not helping either me or our baby." Khushi gently placed her hand on her tummy. "Please. Just come here and sit." She moved slightly towards Naniji to make space for him and watched with a slight sense of relief, when he followed her instructions. She waited until she felt him next to her and then rested her body on his side for support. She stretched her hand and held on to his, before placing their hand on her tummy. She turned to look at him and smiled nervously. Oh, how she loved him and now, it would be her, who would taint him with the truth ' not Shyam. She bit her lip nervously, doubt again slowly seeping in.

"Khushi, just tell them the truth. Believe me. It will be okay." He whispered huskily and then smiled reassuringly, though his smile ending prematurely, not touching his eyes. "We'll get through this together."

"How?" She stared at his chocolatey-brown eyes and felt overflowing love for her husband. Devi Mayaa, please help us, she offered a silent prayer.


Khushi took a deep breath and glanced around the room before resting her eyes on Naniji. "Naniji, I did spend the night at the Mahal. But not as what the programme implied. I was there to try and solve the dowry issue for Jiji's wedding. But I was at the wrong place and at the wrong time. I got on stage and as you can tell, my modelling performance was awful. I trip and Arnavji managed to grab me before I fell to the floor. And then,"

Khushi stopped. Could she truly do this, tell Naniji, how her grandson behaved in such an appalling manner?

"And then Khushi?" Naniji asked.

"And then." Khushi bit her lip again. Surely no one would like to hear that, especially of their beloved grandchild-brother-nephew.

"And then, Naniji, I locked her up in a room whilst I contemplated what to do with her. I thought she was sent by a competitor to deliberately sabotage my show. When I went to question her, she kept denying it and that made me more furious. She begged that I let her go and that she had to return for her sister's wedding. But I did not listen. So I manhandled her and then let her go. That is why she was in a dishevelled state and was distressed." Arnav spoke softly.

"Chotey?!" Naniji grasped.

"You didn't. Surely, you didn't, Chotey." Anjali spoke. "Please Chotey, tell me you are lying."

"Don't worry Anjali. He lying." Mamiji said. "Surely this is all due to Khushi putting him up to it."

"No Mamiji, Di and Naniji. What I'm saying is the truth. I'm the reason why Payal's wedding was cancelled." Khushi felt his hand squeezed hers tightly. "And it gets worse." Arnav continued softly.

"How can it get worse Chotey? You locked an innocent girl in a room and then manhandled her based on an assumption." Mamaji asked, fury evident in his eyes.

Khushi watched as her husband sat quietly on the bed next to her, eyes cast to the floor. She could not see him in this state. Where was her Laad Governor?! Now he in this state reminded her of a weak helpless broken child. Not caring about anyone in the room apart from her husband, she placed her hand on his cheek, drawing his gaze to her. "It's ok, Arnavji. It means nothing. I know you love me very much. This is all in the past."

Arnav kissed her hand softly and then stood. He began to pace again across the room but slowly.

"Chotey, Mamaji asked you a question. How can it get worse?" Anjali asked, her voiced waivered as she tried to control her tears. Her fingers nervously caressing her saree material.

Arnav took two more steps and stopped. He kept his eyes on the floor. "It gets worse because what happened in the Mahal was nothing. I released the pictures of her falling into my arms to the media and told them to play it continuously. I was angry after we had a confrontation at the religious darbar. She said that everything happened because of Devi Maiya and I asserted that man made their own destiny. She wouldn't stop. So in anger, I released the pictures to teach her a lesson."

Arnav started to pace though Khushi watched that now his gaze bored onto Shyam. "Later, I found out that this drew a lot of unwanted attention and she and Payal were forced to come to Delhi, leaving their parents alone at home. And then..."

"There is more?" Anjali shrieked.

"Yes Di. Much more."

"How Chotey? Did I raise you, give you all the love, for me to hear this. Surely there is no more." Naniji added.

"There is definitely more. Much more. Just let me finish" Arnav said, his voice raised.

He ran his hands through his hair. "I'm sorry. This is not easy for me. I'm not proud of what I did but Naniji you wanted the truth." Arnav spoke softly.

"Khushi got a job at AR and I again ill-treated her at work. Let her fall from the first floor. Made her work late. Forced her to wear a short dress because she was uncomfortable but she remained adamant and eventually I relented and she wore a saree for a calender shoot. But it didn't stop there. I also forced her to work as a car park attendant in the rain, after sending the other car park attendance home. Then when she had told Naniji about Lavanya, I sent her to the derelict guesthouse where unknown to anyone, she was locked in for the night. It was only because Payal called at home stating that Khushi had not returned, that made me return to the site and was able to save her only moments before the part of the building collapsed." His voice waivered. "It still continues. I shouted at her numerous times. Threw her belongings on the floor. Grabbed her. Manhandled her. Accusing her of her status and her need for money and then forcing her to return to train Lavanya by throwing more money at her. The list could go on and on."

Arnav slowly let himself drop to the floor, his eyes glistening with tears. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. So sorry. I've apologised to Payal and I've apologised to Khushi. And for that day and many more after, I have regretted how I behaved. But nothing else happened that night."

Khushi stared at her husband. He told the truth, irrespective of the consequences to himself. She smiled. Her tears flowed down her cheeks readily. Oh boy - She loved him immensely and felt her insides overflowing with joy and love. She slowly raised herself and walked towards him. She joined him on the floor,  interlacing her fingers with his and bringing it to her lips. She kissed each finger of his tenderly. She was beyond caring of what the other's in the room thought of her display of affection. He was her husband and she was so happy. He truly loved her very much. To the extent that he sacrificed himself for the truth.

"Arnavji, how could you? Manhandle khushiji. This is not good. Disgusting. You bring shame to the upbringing you received from Naniji and Rani Sahiba" Shyam spoke.

Khushi turned immediately and stared at the creep. Surely it took a big man to realise his mistakes and apologise. And her husband was just that. Yes, he made mistakes but he also was strong enough to accept it. How could she have doubted him before? He asked her to believe in him and she would. He asked her to tell the truth and yet, she was struggling but he did. And now, she would do damage limitation.

"Shyamji. I think you mistook what Arnavji said. Yes he manhandled me. But in moments of passion, some form of manhandling does happen. Yes, he was angry with me that day and several days after. I too was angry at him. But he apologised later and I think that is due to the wonderful upbringing he has received in this household."

Her eyes met Naniji's. "Naniji, Arnavji did not mistreat me or lie to my family intentionally. How he behaved was wrong. I don't condone it but I understand it. He was just angry and I always stoked the anger with my behaviour. It was true that it was not my place to be at the Mahal. It was also true that I should not have said what I did at the religious darbar. It was also not my place to talk about his relationship with Lavanya.  But like Payal will agree, sometimes I just get carried away."

Khushi glanced across the room and then back at her husband. "I used to think that every time I met Arnavji, I was in the wrong place and at the wrong time. And again, I was wrong. It was a sign from Devi Maiya that we should find each other."

"AnjaliDi, you have raised a lovely man. I'm not saying it because he is my husband but it is the truth. Yes, I was locked in the room but besides, just holding me roughly on my arms, he did not take advantage of me at all. Everytime I was in difficulty, he was always there, somehow. At the guesthouse. When I needed money because babuji's health had deteriorated, he turned up ' angry though ' but he still was there offering me more money to train Lavanya. He even saved my Devi Mayaa at the office from falling to the floor ' not because he believed in her but because he knew you did. When I broke his favourite vase at home, he took the blame. There is so many instances, he had come to my rescue."

She smiled at Arnav and gently caressed his hand. "So I was in the right place and right time. Otherwise, I would never found him and I shudder at that thought. I don't know how and when the feelings changed between us. But if I was honest, I think the attraction was always there from day one. It was us fighting it, ourselves and each other. But the feelings had its own trajectory."

She turned to look at Naniji. "Naniji, is there anything else you would like to know?"

Naniji shook her head, smiling slightly.

"Then maybe we should watch the rest of the show." Khushi felt a new sense of strength within her - especially with her husband, most of the truth and Devi Maiya by her side.

10 comments:

  1. I love it! I wonder how they're going to get out of all the lies. How are they going expose Shyam? How are they going to pretend that Khushi's pregnant? I have so many questions! Great update, waiting impatiently for more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please update it... Its beeen a loooooooooooong time since you updated it. Eagerly wiating for shyam's exposure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please please please update soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I read this story from start to the last chapter written, I even checked on IFF to see if you had firther chapters there....but no luck :'(
    I love Arshi stories which hace the original characters and even a similar plot line znd this was one thatI really liked, so Im gutted that you abandoned it without completing it. I realise life happens, and sometimes you cant get the mojo back but please if you can please post the remaining chapters or at least until they get rid of Shyam. It would be such a shame to let these stories get wasted.

    PLEASE X○○{ infinty lame I know sorry } but do complete thank you
    Oh and by the way my user name is the same as in IFF

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love just love this story!!! Could you please come back and update it???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just came across this wonderful blog..You had me hooked to all the stories. And I wish you had completed this one. It is such a wonderful take on what on the show...and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please can you update doon please. I want to know what us the next,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome and mind blowing! I very much enjoyed read it this story. I love how you turned all events in a loving interaction between Khushi and Arnav! Very realistic how you were always discribing their inner turmoil and their struggles! Please continue soon, don't let this fabulous FF unfinished, that would really be a pity. It is one of the best stories and I really still am into Arshi!
    Please notify me your updates if possible
    Chanya (IF Chanyaforever)

    ReplyDelete
  9. At last, someone has highlighted K's point of view! Good job done by you, Hanee. No further updates, so far!!??
    I still don't find reason enough to see some of these great stories never Progress beyond 2012/2013, when you probably started writing them. I'm sure there are a whole lot of us looking out for closure..

    ReplyDelete