Part 6

Khushi sat silently, body hunched with her face in her hands, eyes closed. She continued to sob. The enormity of her situation finally dawning on her.


She was in love. That too with Mr Arnav Singh Raizada, the very person she called rakshas and laad governor. Yet, instead of being overjoyed with her being in love, that too her first love, she was filled with dread as she contemplated leaving. She had no choice, she reminded herself. Her jiji was right. Shyam did not understand the term "no". Instinctly, she now knew he would continue to pursue her, believing her "no"s to be yeses. He still wanted her and still was full of lies. How could she have misjudged him and misjudged Arnavji. Maybe Arnavji was right. She truly didn't have brains. Who else would make such a grave mistake like this. Where one was nothing but good, she mistook him as the devil. And the true evil character she had thought of as a friend. She just hoped she could pay the price for this mistake, before it turned out to be a tragedy.


Could she truly leave her parents and buaji, she wondered. Jiji would be in RM with jiju. But what about her parents and buaji? She was sure Akash jiju would look after them. But could she survive without her parents and buaji? She felt her chest tightened and her breathing laboured. She guess she would manage somehow. She had managed previously when her parents died. She was very young then. So now being older, more capable, surely she could do something.


But where would she go? And where would be safe? She would not be able to return that often just in case of Shyam finding out her whereabouts. This was going to be worse than a life sentence. And did she just get on a train and see where the train stopped and wander off trying to form a new life in a distant place alone? She sighed. This was going to be difficult. But surely anything for her sister's happiness and Arnavji.


And what about Arnavji? She felt her heart pound stronger just on the mere thought of his name. She truly was a hopeless case. Thank god he was not here to see her this way. It would just be a treat and she could just imagine his taunts. She managed her smile. She would definitely miss the taunts. Khushi, your aukaad this. Khushi, money that. Khushi, leave. Khushi, get out.


"Devi Mayaa, what do you want me to do? If you wanted me to leave, then why show me a glimpse of happiness? Am I being punished? First you take my parents. I don't complain. I don't understand but I accept it. I have no choice. And then my babuji's health deteriorate. I accept it and think that maybe this is just something we will have to overcome. And now'? Him?" She bit her lip and tasted salty liquid in her mouth.


She sat silently, eyes still close. Heart pounding. Her breathing rapid and short.


"Khushi, stop being ridiculous. Remember no scene. Please Khushi you can do it. You have to do it." She whispered. "Get a grip please. Think what would babuji, ammaji and buaji say if they saw you like this. Please, they are already so stressed and worried, especially with that creep. No scenes, remember. Everything smooth. Jiji's sangeet is going well. And then the mehndi ceremony and then the wedding. And then you don't have to come to RM and this will be just like a bad dream. What about '?" him?


This was hopeless. Her heart still pounded.


"Fine Khushi. Sit here, sulk. It's hopeless. I'm hopeless. Arnavji was right. I'm an emotional mess with no brains." She let her shoulders drop further, resting her forehead on her knees.


She didn't know how long she sat in that position. Only when she felt a burning sensation on her left arm from a touch, did her attention return to the room. She opened her eyes and saw him sitting there, next to her on the bed. She blinked several times.


Great, now she was imagining him as well. Maybe she didn't have to go far after all. Just to the nearest psychiatric inpatient unit. Now surely the creep would not be interested in her after that. Somehow she doubted it.


She closed her eyes and gave her eyelids a vigorous rub. She now truly didn't care about her makeup. What's the use of being presentable when your mind was losing it?! She opened her left eye and then the right. He still sat there, watching her. Dashing as ever. She could smell a sensous musky smell, a combination of his strong cologne and slight sweaty body odour. His hand still by her arm. She searched his eyes and immediately realised, she wasn't imagining him. His brown chocolaty eyes looked at her fixed, cold and distant. His jaw clenched really tightly. Khushi took a deep breath in preparation of the onslaught. He was angry.


He knows. Oh Devi Mayaa, he knows. She felt light headed. What was she to do now? What would he do now? To her? Maybe he did not hear everything. Maybe he just walked in.


She stood up and rushed to check the door. It was bolted tight. He was in here all along.


Where?


Again she searched the whole room. Under the bed ' it was seriously impossible for him to hide there. She had checked. The cupboards. She opened each door. She checked that too and he wasn't there then. She slammed the cupboard doors shut. She now didn't care. Where was he hiding and why did she not find him earlier?


Behind the curtains? She didn't check but they were very thin, that at least jiji and her would have suspected something. This room did not have a balcony or an opening to the garden, so there was no chance of him hiding by the pool area. She again walked in to the bathroom and looked around. Did she miss something?! He wasn't in the shower ' she checked. The bath was empty. Then where could he have hidden?!


Arnav walked briskly passed her towards a huge mirror. He slided it to the left, instantly a light switched on, revealing an opening. A cupboard? She walked behind him and then peered through. A walking wardrobe?! Why didn't she think of that?! This was the Raizada mansion. She should have thought of that. Now he knows. And now she was dead.


Well at least that saves her needing to go away.


He grabbed her hand and pulled her back to the room.


"Sit." He commanded.


"I need to go downstairs. The guests are waiting."


"I said sit, Khushi." His voice controlled.


Khushi obeyed. She watched as he grabbed a chair and sat directly opposite her. She was definitely going to be interrogated tonight. Devi Mayaa help me please.


He flicked his phone on and dialled a number. He placed the phone by his ear and waited. His eyes bored into her.


"Yes Di''  Something has come up' ' I will be busy for the next 1 hours'' Work related''I know its Akash's sangeet but work is also important. How do you think we fund these parties. Anyway, I'm calling because I would like to be there when nani's murti is handed to the winner. So can we tell the guest to have a great time, dancing and enjoying the drinks and food, and we will do the ceremony later'' Tell Akash to introduce Payal to most of the guests. She needs to start mingling. Thanks Di. Definitely I'll be finished in 1 hours." He pressed the end call button.


She was going to be interrogated for 1 hours?! Well at least jiji would not be hopefully coming up during this time. She would be happily mingling whilst Khushi sadly could not say the same about herself. Khushi watched him. He still sat silently, jaw still firmly clenched, nostrils flaring. Definitely containing his anger.


Khushi now is the time to prepare for death. What did people do to prepare for death?! A will? She hadn't written a will yet, but what would she be leaving behind besides destruction. A will was definitely not a good idea then. She watched as Arnav stood up and began pacing up and down, silently. This again was not a good sign.


"How much did you hear?" she whispered. Someone had to start and she figured, maybe if she started first, he may be a bit kinder. That or just to fill the silence. She could bear him shouting at her but not the silence.


"Everything." He turned and stood in front of her, cause a slight strain in her neck looking upwards at him.


"Everything?!" Definitely not a good thing. So he would have heard about Shyam and about her confessions to herself of how she felt. Not that the latter would now matter. Shyam was the most important thing.


He sat with a thud, causing her to jump.


"How long?"


"How long what?"


"How long have you known Shyam jij" He clenched his teeth at the mention of jiju.


"Shyam?"


"Are you going to repeat everything I say?! Shyam!! Di's husband"


Khushi contemplated how much she should tell him. She could say he was a different Shyam but maybe this was what Devi Mayaa wanted. The truth had to come out. But her jiji's wedding?


"Arnavji, I'll tell you everything but on one condition or maybe two."


"Khushi, from where I am sitting. You don't look that good and I wouldn't go making demands if I were you. Just because I seem calm, don't push it. I'm just giving you the benefit of the doubt at the moment. So Khushi, start speaking. NOW!"


"Please Arnavji. I'm not interested about me. Whatever punishment you want to give me, I accept it. But don't punish my jiji." Khushi felt her eyes again welling. "Please don't stop her wedding. My family wont be able to take it. It will destroy them."


"I'll think about it. 2nd condition?"


"You will remain calm. Not with me. But with everyone else. You know when you get angry, sometimes you don't make very good judgements. Remember Nainital. So, whatever you decide, you will be calm. If you want to be angry, shout at me, hurt me, but with your family, calm. This concerns Anjali as well. Please. For her." Khushi spoke softly, her hands playing with her saree pallu.


"Very well. How long have you known Shyam Ja?"


Khushi explained from the beginning.
How after she had confronted Arnavji at the darba, he released pictures of her falling into his arms to the media. The next day, all TV channels were playing the clip. She was out with her parents. People started talking, looking at her differently, cheaply. When they nearly got home, they were attacked by few goons who removed her dubatta and pushed her father. Shyam had turned up then and rescued them. And then they had gone their separate ways.


Babuji and Ammaji had sent her and jiji to Delhi to get away from the attention. She agreed to come and they stayed with buaji. One day she had met Shyam when Payal and her were shopping at the market. Jiji had warned her not to talk to strangers but she did not listen. He seemed nice and gave her his card and said that if she needed help with anything, just to call.


It dawned on her that their expenses continued but there was no income and she did not want to stress buaji and her parents. Buaji had an asthma attack, needed inhalers. She borrowed Happyji's scooter and fate must not be at her side. She met with an accident. And of course, hitting Arnavji's car. Another confrontation. Now more so she needed a job. She tried everything ' selling sarees, even came to RM but nothing worked. Finally called Shyam and he got her a job at AR but in a warehouse.


"Khushi you were working in the office." Arnav pointed out.


"I know where I was working. I got to the warehouse and discovered, I had lost the paper that Shyam gave. So I was asked to go to the main office. Lavanya wanted a PA and I was hired. And then another confrontation with you and of course, I signed the agreement. So now I needed money for our living expenses and to pay your car and the agreement, should I default."


"Somehow, Shyam found out we needed money and spoke to buaji. He stated that he needed a place to stay and started staying as a paying guest. And then when babuji and ammaji arrived, babuji became ill and then buaji wanted me to get married since she said that neighbours were speaking that young girls and a male paying guest were living in the house. Buaji stated it was not good. So Shyam agreed to marry me."


"What?!"


"I said no. I wasn't interested in marriage. He was just a friend. I told him that. I asked him to speak to buaji but he didn't. Then Diwali night, after you left telling me that I meant nothing, I was hurt. Babuji became unwell, and buaji stated that I was selfish. Could I not see that babuji wanted this marriage and I couldn't even do that for my parents, so I agreed."


"Did you not want to speak to his family?" Arnav asked, playing with his phone.


"He said he had no family. He said he was from Lucknow. I don't know. Maybe there was so many things that we should have done. I don't know." Maybe he was right, Khushi thought. They should have done at least some sort of check. Why didn't they? Why was she so trusting of people. But she wasn't trusting of Arnavji. She watched him, he continued to play with the keys on his mobile phone.


"Did I ask you to stop talking Khushi?"


"The following day, Anjaliji had called and I came to RM. Then I dropped your mannat key and left for the mandir. You turned up to the mandir and bandaged my finger. By the time I got home, it was late and apparently I had missed the right engagement timing. Babuji again got ill. Buaji again insisted and we got engaged. And I was told that I didn't need to come to RM anymore. But I still kept coming for your engagement preparation. Anjaliji had invited me to the prayers and that's when I came to face to face with him. I confronted him, threw the ring at him and then'" Khushi began to sob. Again she unconsciously needed Arnavji's support.


"Then what?"


"I accidentally walked to your room."


"Why didn't you tell me anything then?"


"How can I Arnavji? Anjaliji's your world. If I came up and told you that the man that you admire and treat like god in this house is nothing but a lying cheating snake. Would you have bought it? Would you believe me? No you wouldn't. You will say that I'm just  trapping him and looking for a rich husband. I don't care about a rich husband. I don't care about money. None of that matters."


"How sure are you about that? All girls like money. Why should you be different? It's an easy life trapping a rich man" Arnav taunted.


"Maybe it is. I don't know. I had agreed to marry him for my family and the Shyam that we thought knew was not rich." Khushi now angry, very angry. How could she have fallen in love with this twat! He was definitely a rakhsas!!! "And besides, if I cared so much for money, I wouldn't have sold my bracelet to buy you all that expensive plants so that Lavanya and you could get back together. What would you say to that?!" Khushi felt initially elated and then realised what she had just said and immediately covered her mouth with her hand.


Arnav leaned forward. "What did you say?"


"Nothing. Please nothing. Continue story? Please."


"So you expect me to belief that you work in RM and not know Shyam was Anjali's husband?" He inched closer.


Khushi nodded. Her heart accelerating.


"Unbelievable."


"But true."


"Their anniversary?"


"He wasn't here. He had to leave."


"The prayers at the mandir?"


"He wasn't there either. Shyam had told us to go to a different mandir. We only came to the mandir where you were at to return the pooja thali. And then we stayed on Anjaliji's insistence. Shyam called to ask us where we were and told us to leave as there was going to be difficulties getting a ricksaw. So we did."


"Khushi, you barge into most rooms in the house and you didn't go into Anjali's room?"


She shook her head. "I only seem to barge into your room." Khushi pondered why was that.


"And tonight?"


"He followed me to the pool area and grabbed me. Still convinced that I feel something for him." Khushi closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "What a mess! That's all. Now you know the truth. Whether you believe me or not is up to you. But I have no reason to lie." She watched him as they sat in silence.


"What are you going to do?"


"What do you want me to do?" She whispered.


"What would you do to save your sister's marriage?" Arnav looked at her, his eyes cold.


"Anything."


"Easier said than done."


"I do mean anything. Just don't let jiji be punished for this. It's not her fault really."


"Is it yours then?"


"It has to be hasn't it. I was dumb enough to make a conversation with a stranger and now the repercussions, I would have to take some responsibility."


"True." He got up and sat next to her.


"Anything?! So what should your punishment be?" He inched closer to her and whispered in her left ear, his lips grazing her lobe intentionally.
"Please Arnavji."


"What? You said anything?" He continued to nibble on her ear as he slipped his left hand under her saree and rested it on her tummy, moving closer to here.


Khushi now was confused. What was he doing? He should be shouting, scolding her. Instead he was driving her insane. She felt no longer in control of her body. Her heart raced, her breathing accelerated, butterflies in her stomach. She started feeling hot, very hot.


"What are you doing?" she barely whispered. She turned and looked at him.


"Would you give up your life for your sister?"


She nodded.


"Good, so you wont have any problems with a living in arrangement." He planted soft kisses down her neck.


"What?!" She stood up. "Are you nuts?! Living in? Me? No chance. With whom?"


"Yours truly. Who else? Om prakash? Hari prakash?" Arnav stood up and closed the distance. " I thought you said you would do anything for your sister? Easier said than done, isn't it." He turned towards the door.


"Wait." It was her turn to pace now. "What if I leave Delhi and go somewhere very far?"


"What guarantee is there, he won't come after you Khushi?" He turned and rested his body on the door frame.


"None. But living in?" she started sobbing. Didn't she tell Lavanya and him that it was an insult to a woman to a living in arrangement. She had always valued marriage but maybe it was not in her destiny. Maybe this was her punishment.


"Yes living in. Behaving like husband and wife, doing everything married couples do. Sleeping in the same room in the same bed. But remaining unmarried. You know I don't believe in marriage rituals. Would you agree to a living in arrangement for the sake of your sister's happiness and wedding?"


She looked at him. How did it get this way?! She would have liked to slap him but she didn't want a scene. Didn't she tell herself earlier in the evening that she would allow him to say anything as long there was no confrontation. Khushi was now starting to realise that whenever they had a confrontation or when she confronted him, it got worse for her and her family. But also funnily enough, whenever she asked Devi Mayaa for help, he was always there. Maybe in a way, this may help her with the Shyam situation. She didn't know but she knew that she would not put up a fight tonight. She had to place her trust on someone. And if Devi Mayaa sent Arnav then so be it. He was right. Where would she run? How long would she run? Yes she would be unmarried. Yes, she would be sinking in her own estimation of herself. But hadnt she sunk already. She was engaged to a married man. She then kept it from his family especially his wife for the sake of her sister's happiness. She had sunk quite low. Another few more drops couldnt truly make much difference. At least Shyam would stay away from her. Afterall he wouldnt want to mess with Arnavji.


"Okay." She barely spoke.


"What?"


"Okay to living in with you without marriage." She fought the tears. She had to be strong. She would do this for her sister, her wedding present. "Let me tell my parents in my own way. They will disown me but I guess that is a price I will have to pay. At least I would still be able to see them when they come and visit jiji."


She walked towards the dresser and picked up her outfit and placed it on the bed. She closed her eyes as her fingers nervously started removing her saree pallu.


Immediately she felt his hand over hers, as he stood infront of her, barely inches away. "What are you doing Khushi?" he whispered.


"If we are going to live together, I should be comfortable undressing infront of you, no?" She felt her eyes abandoning her as she felt a track of wetness down her cheeks.


He smiled. "We are not doing the living in arrangement." He tucked her saree pallu around her.


"But you said?"


"I know what I said. I wanted to see how far you would go for your sister. And you will sacrifice even the thing you hold most precious for your sister and your family." He cupped her hands in his. "You even sacrificed your belongings for what you thought was going to be my happiness. You cant be lying. I trust you Khushi." He edged back.


Khushi now felt exhausted. She must have experienced most of the emotions in the last one hour. One thing puzzled her though.


"Arnavji, why did you hide?"


He stopped and turned to face her "You could sacrifice your queen Khushi. I couldn't sacrifice mine. Now change. The guests are waiting."


He unlocked the door and stepped out.


Khushi turned to face the dresser. Her heart continued to pound. She heard the door opening and slamming again and watched as Arnav approached her slowly until he stood inches away. He removed her hair clip and her hair felt to her waist.


"Now you look perfect." He scanned her and his eyes hovered around her bruise. He stepped closer and then bent down and placed a kiss on her bruise. Khushi's breath hitched.


"Kya hua Khushi, farak padta hai?" He smirked


She nodded.


"Mujhe bhi." He winked. "Everything will be okay, Khushi. I'll look after it."


He grabbed her outfit from the bed and handed it to her. "Now change Khushi. The guests are waiting. I'll see you downstairs."


She watched as he finally made his way out of the room.
Khushi found herself beaming. Tonight was an emotional rollercoaster night. She was now emotionally exhausted but her heart continued to pound. Maybe it was okay for her foolish heart to believe in fairy tales afterall. But she hoped that there will be no more suprises in store.

2 comments:

  1. You really know how to give a girl a heart attack! That was just too much yaar. I honestly thought Arnav was going to make her have a live in relationship with him. I'm glad he trusts her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh love this story!!!

    ReplyDelete