Part 7

Khushi watched her reflection as she fiddled with her earring. She felt light, as though a huge boulder was lifted of her chest. She wasn't even aware that she was leaden with the guilt and stress that Shyam had caused since he walked into her life. But sharing it with Arnavji had helped and she was surprised that he took it rather well.

"Please Devi Mayaa, no more surprises for tonight. I don't know if my heart can take anymore."

She walked into the bathroom and immediately was drawn to the huge mirror. She slided it left and again the light switched on. She looked at the dressing area and smiled. He was definitely a laad governor and was purposely taunting her. He knew all along he was going to hide.

"You could sacrifice your queen Khushi. I couldn't sacrifice mine." Echoed in her head and her smile widened. She closed her eyes and placed both her hands on her heart. "Thank you Devi mayaa. Please look after him and everyone he holds dear and of course my family."

She quickly laid her make up on the vanity cupboard and began to retouch her makeup. She had to now definitely look presentable, especially since she was now back to the realms of sanity, she hoped.

She took one last glance at her reflection, smiled and made her way to the ground floor.

"Khushi, this long?! To change?" Buaji approached her. "Are you ok?"

"Yes buaji. You?" Khushi asked though not truly interested in the answer. Her eyes darted across the room, looking for him. But he was no where. She sighed. She needed to see him, desperately. She couldn't believe she was already missing him. If this was how she was reacting barely 30 mins had passed since he left the room. How would she have coped if she had actually left Delhi? Forget leaving Delhi. How will she cope going home today? Definitely she would be munching on jalebis tonight.

"Khushi, bitiya." Her buaji shook her. "Where are you? I'm talking to you."

"I'm here buaji. Just a bit  tired. You know with all the dancing." Again her eyes scanned the room and again it was disappointed. "I need water, do you want some?"

"No. I'm not drinking anything where 'Hello Hi Bye Bye' is concerned."

Khushi wondered what that was all about but didn't have the strength to listen. She politely excused herself and made her way to the drinks corner. She picked a glass of juice instead and began to slip it slowly.

"I don't care Aman, it has to be perfect. And you have less than 15 minutes. Pull it off and you will get a huge bonus." A familiar deep voice spoke.

Immediately Khushi turned around, in search of the source of the voice. Nothing. Did she imagine him? Was she now suffering from auditory hallucinations?! Please Devi mayaa, enough of excitement for tonight. She closed her eyes, and took some deep breaths to steady her heart.

"Miss me?"

Khushi turned around instantly. Her lips stretched to a smile. She opened her eyes and there he was standing in front of her. She shook her head and sipped her drink.

Arnav took a step forward and studied her. "Sure?"

She nodded. Another sip. Her eyes darted to his lips. Images of her kissing his lip, biting them and licking them flashed before her. Her eyes widened. She gulped her drink.

His smirked widen. "Shall we check?"

"Check?" she mumbled.

He stepped closer. "Yes, whether you missed me or not?"

"There is a test?!"

Arnav laughed. "Not officially. But I guess we can resume where we left off upstairs."

"Here?!" She looked around the room and then glanced back at him. "There are loads of people here." Khushi's thoughts returned to him holding her on the bed, his hand resting on her tummy. Her tummy started doing flipflops causing her to place her hands on her abdomen to steady herself.

"I'm sure they won't mind. Well actually, I don't care what they think. I know I certainly don't mind. I promise I won't bite, well maybe a little."

He edged closer. Khushi edged several steps back but Arnav matched moving closer.

"Why do you always move back Khushi?"

"Because you move forward? Please Arnavji. There are people here." She whispered, barely able to hear her unsteady voice. Her heart was thumping too loud and she was pretty sure it would give up on her soon with the increased workload it was experiencing.

"Hi Arnav." An elderly lady approached them. Khushi breathed a sigh of relief and took a step sidewards, increasing the distance between her and Arnav.

"Good evening Mrs Chatterjee. Hope the evening has been good for you?" Arnav greeted her, placing two kisses on her cheeks. "Keeping in good health?"

"Yes, Arnav, thanks for asking. I didn't know you danced, and that too well."

"You are too kind. It's a hidden talent though now waiting to be explored further." He smiled; his eyes watching Khushi intently.

Khushi felt the heat in the room rise and she needed fresh air. She moved further and watched him. He moved away too and together they started walking. Greeting people on the way. Making polite conversations with others: Occasional thank yous for the compliment of her dancing well. Yes, definitely she would be able to teach some dance moves or two.

Most of her attention was at the man not so far away. Their eyes darted away and back, communicating silently with each other. He still had the smirk on his face and she smiled like a helpless in love teenager.

"Khushiji?" Khushi turned and spotted NK.

"Yes Naneji?"

"Khushi, you were just brilliant on the stage. You danced so well. I was blown away, not literally but figuratively, you understand."

"Yes Naneji." Khushi smiled.

"And I must say Naanav did a splendid job too. You know if you both did not hate each other so much and not constantly fighting, you might just make an adorable pair."

"Yes Naneji." Khushi smiled.

"You are not listening to me are you Khushi?"

"Yes, no I mean no Naneji. Definitely listening." Her eyes darted to the left, expecting to see Arnav but he was not there. She then tried as subtlely as she could to find him.

"Lost something? Shall I help you find it?" NK asked.

"No. I haven't lost anything."

NK took a step closer and placed his hands on her shoulders and spunned her to the right. He edged closer and whispered "Naanav is over there, talking to Naniji."

Khushi turned and looked at him. "I was not looking for him."

"Really? Well then it was my mistake. Lets go."

"Where?"

"I don't like it here, too noisy. You don't seem to be able to hear properly. So shall we go to the garden. Less people, less noise and you wont have the distraction of Naanav that you don't like." He smiled mischievously. "Shall we?!"

"No, its ok." Khushi look down in embarrassment. "Was it that obvious? Am I that obvious?"

"Not so much you. You do seem more distracted since you've come down. Also smiling more, which is a good thing."

"Then how did you guess?"

He motioned his eyes towards Arnavji's direction. "Him. Now a different story. Very obvious. He is smiling. I don't know what he is telling Naniji but they both seem to be very happy. Normally Naanav doesn't like parties and Naniji is tensed about it. But today not so. Also, he laughed at your performance even when you mocked him. Naanav and laughing? Never in a million years. Unless?"

"Unless?"

"The only time when men like him become like this if they are infected."

"Arnavji is not well?! Did he not take his medication? I'll go and check."

NK held Khushi's hand. "There is no medication if he is bitten by the lovebug."

"Naneji!!" Khushi tapped his wrist. "That is naughty."

"Yes, but that is also true. What can I say Khushi? I'm hurt. You broke my heart. But you've made my brother a changed man and immediately my heart is mended. Anyone else I wouldn't have forgiven easily."

"Sorry Naneji." Khushi laughed.

"No problem. Bhabiji. Friends still?"

"Definitely. And don't call me Bhabi."

"Not yet but soon."

"What is that suppose to mean?" Khushi now was confused.

"Nothing."

Khushi glanced at Arnavji. Their eyelock was brief. She watched as he made way towards her babuji, knelt and said something. Babuji smiled.

What was going on?

Arnavji wheeled Babuji closer to the stage and Ammaji, buaji joined them. He then excused himself and came to stand on her left.

"Hi"

Her heart raced and her breathing became shallow. What my foolish heart. on just 'hi'. What about being strong.

"Is everything ok?"

He nodded.

She moved closer. "You still mean what you said about jiji and her wedding right?" she looked at him nervously.

"Everything is fine. Relax"

Khushi just studied him. Was something up? She struggled to think. Truly she was getting exhausted.

He edged closer to her. "This dress colour?"

"What about it?"

"It is not bad on you."

Khushi smiled. "Thank you."

She watched him as he touched his ear and his eyes suggested she do the same. She touched her left ear and realised that she had forgotten to place the earing in her ear. How was that possible? She was pretty sure she had the earring in her hand when she was in front of the dresser. And then her thoughts had drifted to Arnavji and now she was not sure whether she placed it on her or not. She positioned her hair over her ear. She had to give it to him. He was very observant, was this recently or had he been observant for a while now. Is that also why he believed her about Shyam quite quickly. Did he smell a rat before she mentioned it?

  "Ladies and Gentleman. Can we have your attention please. Looks like everyone is here for the gift ceremony." Anjali was now on stage with Shyam.

Khushi watched in disgust as Shyam studied her. But she was no longer scared.

Arnavji stepped away and on to the stage. He whispered something to Anjali and took the mike.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I hope you have had a wonderful evening so far. I do apologise for changing the timing of the events tonight but work commitments sometimes takes over. But I'm glad we are all here to celebrate my brother, Akash and his fianc, Payal's sangeet. I certainly have had a good time tonight and hope it will continue."

Khushi smiled lovingly at him.

"Khushiji, not so much" NK positioned himself next to her.

"What?"

"Smiling too much. Need to play hard to get a bit. Make Naanav sweat."

"Shhh. He is talking."

"Possessive!!! I like." NK whispered.


"So without further ado. The scores are, Raizada's 23 and Gupta's 24. Can I get Naniji on stage to give the Nataraja Murti. And the best dancer from the winning team? is not a surprise ? Khushi."

The whole hall clapped and khushi looked down feeling nervous. Her fingers playes with her skirt.

"Khushi, come up please."

"Ja Khushi. Lover boy calling you." NK sniggered.

"Stop it naneji. You will pay for this"

"We will se bhabiji." NK whispered.

Khushi made her way up the stage and stood next to Arnav. Naniji hugged her and handed her the murti. "You did very well Khushi, very well indeed. I'm so proud of you. You even made our chote dance. Thank you." She kissed her affectionately. "Thank you so much."

Khushi tried so hard not to cry. "Its ok Naniji. Thank you for the murti. And he definitely gets his dance talent from his naniji." She held Naniji's hand. "Shall we?"

"Not yet Khushi. There is one more gift." Arnav spoke.

"Another gift?" she looked questionably at Arnav.

Naniji nodded. "There is another gift. Shall I hold the murti safely for you and give it to you later. Ok?"

Khushi wasn't too sure. Another gift. What other gift? She nervously handed the murti to naniji.

Please Devi Mayaa. Nothing bad to happen. Please.

Arnav gave the mike back to Anjali. He grabbed Khushi's hand and softly led her to the centre of stage. All the lights turned off and then the background red lights began to glow, with a soft rendition of "Khuda Jaane" in the background. 2 spot lights focussed on them.

"Arnavji, what is this?"

He gestured her to stay silent.

Khushi watched as he got down on one knee and looked lovingly at her.

What?!

"Arnavji?" Khushi mumbled. "We are on stage."

"I know, Khushi. How many times do I tell you when I do or say something, let me finish."

Khushi turned and looked at NK, who was beaming. He knew! Did they all know? Babuji was smiling. So was ammaji. Buaji was in her own world. Naniji was beaming. So was Akash and Payal. They too already knew? A quick glanced confirmed that Anjali too was smiling like a child let free in a sweet shop. The only one that seemed miserable was : no suprise for guessing Shyam and of course, Mamiji. But Khushi knew that mamiji had no ill intention. She was just having a tough time coming to terms that her daughter in law was from a simple background, like she was instead of a high class model with plenty of parental money.

"Khushi." Arnav gently held her hand. "I know we didn't meet under the best circumstances and our journey along the way has not been easy. But there is something there that pulls us together. Call it fate, call it destiny, call it Devi Mayaa. Initially I tried running away from it. But I cant anymore. I have made stupid mistakes and said hurtful things to you along the way. I hope you can forgive me one day. But without you, I feel that my life is going away. I struggle to breath, struggle to think. When you are sad and tearful, I'm distraught. But when you are happy and smilling, I'm over the moon. So I'm asking you today, Khushi, would you do me the honour and be my wife. Marry me? Please"

Khushi remained speechless. Did Arnav just propose to her? The ASR?!

"Khushi, you normally have to say something?"

"Pinch me."

"What?"

"Arnavji, please pinch me. I'm dreaming. I just dreamt that you ask me to marry you. I'm definitely losing my mind."

Arnav laughed. "Khushi! I am asking."

"Seriously?! I thought you didn't believe in marriage?"

"I didn't in the past. But I do now and I want to spend the rest of my life, waking up to you. I want you to be the first person that I see when I wake and the last person I see when I sleep. I want to share everything with you, the good times and the tough times. So what do you say?"

"You sure? I talk non-stop. I talk rubbish most of the time. I'm always meddling in things. I'm too emotional and like you say, don't use my brains that often, maybe."

"Khushi, I'm sure. Now just tell me an answer or this will turn out to be the longest proposal ever."

"Yes."

"What?"

"I said yes."

"Think about it. You are saving yes to your rakshas, laad governor."

"You want me to say yes or no?! Make up your mind!"

Arnav thought for a moment. "Yes."

"My answer is yes then. Because I too cannot live without you. Because everytime you come close my heart pounds, maybe I'll get some normality soon. Because when you are upset, it breaks me and when you laugh, it spurs me on. Because mujhe farak padta hai. Bohot farak padta hai." Khushi beamed.

Arnav stood up and removed a set of gold bangles from his jacket pocket. "This is my mother's kangan." As soon as he slipped them on, rose petals and silver stars rained on them.

"You did this?"

He nodded.

"When?"

"When you were telling me about Shyam. Why do you think I was on the phone, texting?"

"I thought you were just not listening."

"That's not going to happen. Agree you talk too much at times. But I always listen to you Khushi. Thank you."

"For what?"

"For saying yes."

The lights dimmed. He brought her closer and his hand cupped her face. He edged his lips closer and hovered slightly above hers. Khushi closed her eyes and felt his lips touch hers initially gently but getting more aggressively. She felt his tongue run across her lower lip. She responded by opening her mouth and then his tongue slipped in, exploring her completely. Khushi ran her fingers through his hair and pulled him closer. They seemed oblivious to the cheers around them. Only when they needed to catch a breath, their attention turned back to the room.

He laced his fingers with hers and guided her off stage. Khushi felt the intense stare from Shyam and squeezed Arnav's hand tight. Arnav turned to look at her and then followed her gaze. He watched his jijaji who plastered a very fake smile though his jaw clenched tightly.

"Don't worry Khushi. Sometimes revenge is best served sweet." He smiled and guided her to the their overjoyed family.


--- the end ---

6 comments:

  1. loved the story u r heading it........

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is hands down one of my most favorite Arhi stories!! i've read it 4 times now ( and i first discovered the show back in Feb!!) lol

    Arnavs still very much in charge of the situation- like a true business man he has an exit strategy(the hidden door)
    *sigh* Khushi bearing her soul to him! you hit the nail on the head with that.
    YOur characterizations were perfect!
    cant wait to read "To hell and back"

    ReplyDelete
  3. *fan girl mode* Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! That was amazing. I'm sad to see it end but it was just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved every bit of this short story. You're a really great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had read th s before also but was fun reading it again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply wonderful. I'm such a romantic and you are a brilliant author.

    ReplyDelete